I had every intention of just telling the story of Squishy’s arrival, but I feel I need to own up to being monumentally stupid at times…if anyone asks, I’m blaming baby brain, okay?!
Last night I sent a text message to a friend, asking when she wanted to meet up. This morning she replied saying we’d already made plans for tomorrow afternoon. Doh! That’s not it though…that’s just a little added daftness I’m throwing in for free.
Fast forward to 2pm this afternoon and I’m waiting for her to arrive.
2.30pm – I’m getting annoyed.
3pm – I’m really upset now. I decide to send her a text asking where the hell she is. But before I send the message I read the old message…& notice the crucial word; ‘tomorrow’.
3.05pm – I’m trying to sink into the sofa in shame. How I managed to read it & assume she meant today, I don’t know, but I felt ridiculously stupid.
So this evening I decided to bake a cake to cheer myself up.
Yep, that’s a crater in the middle of my cake! I am usually quite good at baking, honestly, but apparently not today! The obvious next step was to hack it to bits & cover it in icing.
Meh, whatever it is it tasted pretty good & led to the line; ‘you don’t need to cut it, you can just pull the ears off’, which made me laugh! The end result of the cake was that I’m cheered up, so it did its job!
I haven’t left much time to write about Squishy’s arrival into the world, so I’ll keep it short and to the point (like the birth actually!):
- One hour 50 minutes from start to baby.
- One hour 20 minutes from my waters breaking.
- About 25 minutes in established labour.
- She surprised us all by being breech.
- She arrived as the midwife walked through the front door – so technically ‘born before arrival’.
- My bestest friend ever caught her (having arrived less than 5 minutes earlier) on her own daughter’s birthday, & is named on my notes as delivering her.
- My best friend told us we’d had a boy (but realised her mistake a couple of minutes later!).
- The birth pool went back unused as we didn’t have time to fill it.
- The third stage took an annoying hour & a half – much harder work than just having the baby!.
And today is her 2 month birthday!